My story with the NFL: Part one

In the beginning, I was thinking on writing just a post to talk about this topic, but I get excited whereas I was creating this text that I decided to divide it into four parts instead of letting it as a very long text. At the end of each fragment, I will put the link for the next part. Thank you for reading.

First part: Current thoughts and how I started to watch this league 

I am writing this post a week before the beginning of the NFL season. Due to the current global situation, and the changes that Covid-19 has brought to the daily life of everyone, this American football season will be considerably different from the previous ones; probably the most remarkable change in this new sportive normality is that the fans will not assist to the stadiums to cheer for their favourite teams.

As a Mexican NFL fan, that situation does not affect me directly, because I do not assist to the stadium every single week that my favourite team plays as the local team, however, it will not be the same to watch the game without listening to the public cheering for the team, pressuring to the rivals and shouting every time something important happens inside the field. At the end of this everything, a common characteristic related to professional sports like football, American football, basketball and baseball, for instance, is the passion of the multitude, which is the reason why these activities are so popular by these times, and it is the same passion what pushes me to write the present text.

I am not sure about when I started to follow the NFL, and I just have fuzzy memories about the Baltimore Ravens, Saint Luis Rams, and the Super Bowl played by the Oakland Raiders vs Tampa Bay Bucs, but I do not remember the first American football game that I watched. Besides, I am not quite sure why did I choose the NFL team that I currently support: the Philadelphia Eagles.

I remember it was on SuperBowl XXXIX (February 6, 2005) when I decided to choose the Philadelphia Eagles over the New England Patriots, probably, due to two reasons: the colour of the Eagles gear (green is my favourite colour) and the fact that my elder brother was cheering for the Patriots. The result of that game was not what I was expecting, and New England beat Philadelphia for three points; since that moment, I was hoping for the year when my new favourite team finally won the trophy and would be considered as the best NFL team.

Thus, I started to watch NFL games almost every weekend, and as more game I watched, my passion for the sport grew up. Unfortunately, many Eagles games were transmitted by exclusive cable TV's channels, and I was not able to watch all of them, due to in my parents' house we did not have that TV system. When Philadelphia games were not transmitted by the signal of our TV, I used to watch NFL games that were available on the TV because that was the way to be aware of what was happening in the Eagles games. It also helped me to understand most of the rules of the game and to recognize all the team that participates in this league and the rivalries that existed between them.

With all those matches and seasons watched, I developed a special feeling for American Football, and even I started to practice it for some years while I was in the University. I must say that I was never a good player, but despite it, I keep those days in my mind as some of the happiest moments in my life. All those things increased my passion for this sport, however, the best part, for me, was still to come.

If you want to read the next part, click here 

 

*** If you find some mistakes on my writing, please comment it. In my first post, I explain why I might be writing incorrectly***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief review (and opinion) of Mob Psyco 100

My story with the NFL: Part two