My story with the NFL: Part two
It was the 2017-2018 season of the NFL, and the Philadelphia Eagles were still with zero SuperBowls titles. That fact never bothered to me, and I kept supporting the team despite the recent bad years of the team and the lack of illusion of watching a transcendental season. But in my inners, I was always hoping for seeing a competitive team and able to perform good games and to fight for the biggest prize. However, most of the tournaments finished before the team could reach the final stages.
The LII season was pretty different than the previous ones. The beginning performance of the team was good, with some memorable moments, as the victory over the NY Giants with a long field goal in the last seconds of the match, for instance. Nevertheless, it was not exempt from problems, as the injuries of key players, like Jason Peters, Darren Sproles, Jordan Hicks, Chris Maragos. But what was incredible for me was the fact that even after those complications, the team kept playing incredibly, and most of that, in my opinion, was the result of the individual performance of a player: the quarterback Carson Wentz.
For me was unbelievable listening to the stadium shouting "MVP!" to Carson Wentz after each local game finished, and those reactions were well justified considering the participation of the quarterback in each game. It was just absolutely fantastic to watch every game of him; it was like if a wizard was inside the body if this man and helped him to create those incredible plays that led the team to the victory. Because of him, I started to believe in the possibility of watching the Eagles winning the first Superbowl in their history, but the fate had others plans for him and the team.
It was during the game against LA Rams when the season of Carson Wentz ended. After a running, his ACL tore, pushing him to end his campaign without ending the regular season. That situation hit me, and I could not believe how unfair had been the destiny with Wentz and the Eagles, who had been playing like the best team of all the NFL for months. Besides, the sports media openly talked about the end of the Eagles' season, giving the team zero chances not just to win the Superbowl, but to win the first game of the postseason. Even if I understood their position, I could not avoid feeling angry because of it, but I was also worried about the consequences that Wentz's absence would carry to the team performance.
I was so concerned and sad about the situation that it was days later when I realized which quarterback would replace Wentz for the rest of the season: it would be Nick Foles.
I remember the first games of Nick Foles for the Eagles; those were when Michael Vick was the starter quarterback of the team. After Vick got injured, Foles started to move the Eagles offence, doing a great job; He reached seven touchdowns in a single game and led the team to the postseason, where they lost against New Orleans Saints. I never understood why the former coach let him go to Saint Louis Rams to bring that quarterback that I do not even remember his name (it was Sam Bradford, I had to look for his name on the Internet). In my opinion, Foles' performance was always noteworthy, and I remember the #InFolesWeTrust as the way than Philadelphia supporters used to show their confidence in Nick because he earned it with his work.
However, this was a crucial situation, and even if Foles had been great in the past, I was not sure if he would be able to play at the same level that he played in his first period in the team. After he left Philadelphia, he could not reach the same level, and he was almost for retiring. On the other hand, I thought, even if he was able to play at the top of his capacities, I was not sure if he would be able to cover the hole that the Wentz's injury had left in that position. I was praying for that.
If you want to read the next part, click here
If you desire to read the previous part, click here
*** If you find some mistakes on my writing, please comment it. In my first post, I explain why I might be writing incorrectly***
Comments
Post a Comment